SPOILER ALERT!

Night Broken (A Mercy Thompson Novel)

Night Broken - Patricia Briggs

*minor spoilers*

This is déjà vu.

I think a comparison is in order. In the latest instalment of the Kate Daniels series (Magic Rises) most of the readers got displeased with the character of Lorelei since there was no apparent reason to add some drama in Curran and Kate's relationship. The thing is, it didn't bother me that much because there was enough going on beside that minor issue. But in Night Broken the same trope of 'let's add a third (female) party that desperately tries to disrupt an harmonious relationship' takes a another dimension. Because when the ex-wife Christy shows up Mercy turns out to be the bad, mean, unwanted one. At this point Mercy still isn't accepted in the pack. And Adam's behaviour is disappointing.

Some random thoughts:

- Adam passive role is annoying and the fact that he accepts everything coming from Christy is even more so. Night Broken did a pretty good job to lower him in my esteem.

- The female werewolves like Mary-Jo for example showed in the previous books some effort to integrate Mercy or at least to be tolerant towards her presence in the pack. Now it seems they all dislike her. We are not making progress at all.

- Mercy just took all the shit that was thrown her way. She should assert her position in the pack for once and for all. And where is Adam when you need him. It's his pack after all.

- Let's throw a bit of Tad here, a bit of Stefan there and maybe some Wulfe here.

- I can't really give any thoughts about the rest of the story because honestly I didn't care. It was boring.

- Again I demand some more of Bran & Leah, Samuel, Charles and the dynamics in their pack.

Will I read the next one? I'm not sure, I think I will read the reviews first.