Girl Genius # 2

Agatha H and the Clockwork Princess - Phil Foglio, Kaja Foglio

In this instalment the reader follows Agatha's adventures in the Wastelands with a travelling show/circus group.

I'm having so much fun with this series. The vivid writing style, the eccentric characters, the humour and lots of adventure makes me want to come back for more. I realized that one of the parts I enjoyed the most is when the Jägermonsters make their appearance. The Jägermonsters talk with, what I think, some sort of heavily German accent. It's downright hilarious. Still despite the humorous undertone of the series, there's still a dark vibe to the story.

The footnotes are a must read. If you read the ebook version, just ignore them while reading since it isn't practical on an ereader. But definitely read them, they are worth it. One of my favourite 53. The Fifty Families are a coalition of those families that used to rule Europa. Their ancestors were brigands and thugs who were so good at killing people that the remaining people started giving them things so they'd stop. This made them Royalty. These days their descendants never mention this, as it seems entirely too much like honest labour.

On a side note, it's quite clear (especially in this instalment) that the series is based on a webcomic series. There's still a main plotline but the series focuses on various subplots/arcs before reaching the climax and solving the central issue of the story (quite like the episodic aspect of graphic novels). Agatha H and the Airship City ended with a cliff-hanger but the reader has to read over 300 pages to finally get the answers. The story introduces us to a broad set of new characters and I kept forgetting their names while reading. I like Klaus' personage, he's one of my favourite characters but made surprisingly little page appearances. Also certain passages were a bit slow, some conversations and descriptions could easily be shortened. But all in all still good.

The authors' website for more adventures with Agatha and co. Or if you want to check out the web comic.